Image Source: wallpaperflare.com
The morning does not start with coffee, and the website does not begin with design. Slowly but surely, you realize that you should draw the project and then consider the technology if you have enough knowledge. Do you know the difference between the front and backend? How about web projects built with Angular that solve numerous tasks of modern entrepreneurship in e-commerce and not only?
Due to the lack of technology and weak semantics, most sites must be endlessly redone to at least somehow advance in the search. Errors are found in the structure and the site’s functionality, the settings of the robots.txt file, and much more. So, what are the most common errors in website development that increase site promotion time and cost?
1. The Site Is Made on the Website Builder
It is enough to make a site on the constructor if you need to test a market niche. But you should know how to choose technology stack tools for a high-quality selling site if you have been in business for a long time and understand the target audience’s needs. Not just a business card site with 5 template pages but a site with dozens of pages, each optimized for a specific request. Why the website builder is not suitable for promotion:
- Works on Ajax: The most popular site builder, Wix, works on Ajax. This technology ensures fast loading of content without reloading the page. Still, with this type of loading, the search engine does not see how users move around the site, which means that the site’s behavioral characteristics deteriorate.
- It is impossible to change something for your tasks. Website builders have template functionality, often not considering even half of what is needed for search promotion. Adding, modifying, or changing the designer’s functionality is impossible.
- You are dependent on the developer. If the company that provides the service of an online designer stops working and changes the policy of providing services, then their problems become yours. You put effort and time into the site, but it does not belong to you. You cannot save the site to your server. If you stop paying, you lose the site.
2. The Site Is Made on Self-Written CMS
The problems are the same as with the constructor. You are 100% dependent on the developer, the functionality and possibilities of improving the system are very limited. The developer did not add a field for entering metadata – prepare for lengthy negotiations and additional payments. Individual solutions are justified only for portals and complex sites, so it is not worth inventing a bicycle for a store or business card site.
3. Incorrect Site Structure
In 90% of cases, the designer, project manager, and business owner have yet to learn what interests their target audience and what keywords people enter when searching for their goods and services. As a result, the site’s structure is made without relying on actual demand.
The average number of pages on such projects is at most 20, and the list of requests is limited to 30-50 commercial phrases. The promotion is limited to creating an endless “Articles” section, randomly filled with articles for missing keywords. As a result, you do not have the opportunity to link pages correctly, the weight of the pages is distributed incorrectly, and you drive the direct traffic not to the beautiful main page but to specific pages in the “Articles” section.
4. The Transition between Pages Is Implemented Through Scripts
Dynamics and a responsive interface are a trend. Navigating through pages without reloading the page or changing the URL is cool. For the user, the advantages are obvious, but search engines see only one page with text or without it at all. Your site disappears from the radar.
5. Redirect Is Not Implemented
Is your site 10 years old and out of date? It’s time to make a new one! Why did users stop coming to it? The site’s old pages had their addresses and positions in the search results. If the structure is changed on the new site, the user and search engines will see a 404 error on the old page addresses. The new site will have to earn authority in the search engine anew.
For each page with a new URL, you need to configure a redirect, so the search engine will see that you have changed the URL and will gradually replace the old pages with new ones. Only in this case will you retain visitors and positions.
6. You Didn’t Consider the Amount of Content
At the development stage, no one asked what kind of content you post and what it looks like. You will face one of two problems:
- there is no place on the site to upload the required amount of content;
- there is more free space than content on the platform.
You want to place a photo of the office in your contacts – there is no space; you want a text on the main page about your advantages for 500 characters – you have space for only 200.
You need to insert a banner with a promotion, and you don’t have enough space on the site.
7. Incorrect Server Settings
The site should work quickly. Loading the source code for more than 1 second is a bad sign.
Do not choose the cheapest hosting tariff or budget hosting of the site on the developer’s servers. Most likely, the resources will be insufficient, and the site will start working slowly. It will be a shame to pay for site development, advertising, and search promotion and lose a buyer because of the page loading speed.
Many planning and decision-making processes go through before the start of each IT project. This planning phase is crucial and can have a significant impact on the future of the project. Choosing the right technology stack can affect development time, cost, application quality, and scalability, so making the right decision is essential, even if you need to spend more time analyzing all the pros and cons of available solutions.